Tuesday 25 February 2020

Royal Exchange adventure.

Here is an art gallery at the mouth of the Royal Exchange. My hunch is that it is an art gallery for wealthy bankers who are not all that into art. We see Jackie O by Warhol in the window. Two icons in one! Instantly recognizable by the middle aged everywhere!

I am here to drink a cup of coffee in the Fortnum and Mason cafe and to pick up some shopping previously bought online. This will give me in excess of 1000 Avios which is my flexible monthly target.


I was careful to check the prices before ordering. Fortnums supply tea to the Queen and she is known to have a few bob and I (alas) do not. It was expensive (£4.50) but not as expensive as it looks.


A chance to admire the stonework. I always advise visitors to London to look up. Many of its marvels are not found at eye level.


The shop itself is a riot of colour. While I was there I was given tasters of tea and biscuits which anywhere else would not be worth mentioning. In Fortnums it was a genuine treat. On exit, I had a truffle. Too sweet for me but no doubt also good.



Notice the strange names on the chocolate bars. The shop promotes itself on its English eccentricity.

So what did I get for my money? I received some very good tea and some silver spoons. The coffee was good (but not the best I have tasted). Most of all I enjoyed the ambiance and left the Royal Exchange feeling refreshed as if I had been on a mini holiday. I paid about £100 all told.

It is difficult to calculate the value of the Avios but it comes down to about one crate of wine a year provided Avios do not push through another devaluation before I can redeem them.


On the whole I am happy.

Future adventures are found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate the comments for spam but welcome contrary viewpoints.