Monday 9 December 2019

Trees and brick.

There are three ways to walk London. One may do so as most tourists do- as a box ticking exercise. How many famous sights can be ticked off in 24 hours so the tourist can say he has 'done' London? Such a tragedy! The tourist sees nothing that he has not seen from the pages of his guide book and may as well have stayed at home!  I have walked London for over ten years and I have not scratched the surface. I know I will never 'see' London as no human being has ever experienced more than a speck. I can at least say I have seen more than most.

The second approach is to walk slowly. To view the city as a living thing. To see how people live and work. To experience London as a player of the game. This is the method of the Flaneur.

The third is Psycogeography. To experience the ways London feels. To experience the subtle magic of brick and tree. The unique sense of place that every location has.

I like the play of the trees upon the brick. Apart from this accidental beauty the picture signifies nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate the comments for spam but welcome contrary viewpoints.