Monday 11 March 2019

The Old Money way.


We do not need to inherit money to adopt the old Money mindset- but if we do so our children probably will inherit from us.

I am selectively cheap. I have learned to cook. I am also trying cold (or cool) showers to wake myself up in the mornings. All sorts of wonderful things are supposed to happen to me if I do this but it also results in cash savings.

Many aristocratic families received their last big payday in the twelfth century so they know a thing or to about making money last.


I have balanced this by spending more money on the food I put in my body. Old Money looks after itself. Part of this involves switching meat purchases from Aldi to Morrisons- mainly because Morrisons use the Red Tractor standard. Not only a more humane way to raise animals but also a safer one as each animal is tracked between farm and shelf.

The difference in price is quite small and is probably covered by the generally improved quality. I receive some (not very useful) loyalty points and the chance to buy some loss leading Morrison Saver products such as washing up liquid for 34p or washing powder for 80p a small box.

Free pleasures are money in the bank.


Much free entertainment may be found simply by walking around London with my eyes open. The photograph shows that trees are 'twinned' with one another rather like towns- but with less obvious motives.

Expensive is sometimes frugal.


I am buying dried goods at Waitrose where tremendous value may be found. These yellow split peas cost 59p a bag, get me loyalty points and a free cup of coffee priced at £2.10 and make a large quantity of pease pudding.

Pease Pudding hot! Pease pudding cold! Pease pudding int the pot, nine days old!!


Simplicity is the key.

I am using up my loyalty stamp cards so that I am no longer tempted to make purchases to complete them. Loyalty schemes are a psychological war that I have tended to lose in the past. Some of them are so good at playing me that they will just have to go!

McDonalds are out. They have a stamp card that gives one free coffee for every six bought. Compare this to Subway which is probably its biggest competitor. Subs are generally cheaper than McDonalds meal deals, and come with their own free drink. Subway therefore give one free coffee every three meal deals while McDonalds require six. If we calculate the cash spend it is even more clear. Subway require a spend of £10 while McDonalds require about £30.

Plus McDonalds kill you a little quicker.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate the comments for spam but welcome contrary viewpoints.