Monday 2 February 2015

Personal.com v1.0

One means of maintaining ownership of your own data and contacts (apart fron keeping it all offline) is Personal.com. This allows the user to create what they call 'gems' which are bite sized encrypted files. Only the creator may open these files or those he chooses to share with.

Personal claim that not even they can open the files on its system. This is because they do not know your password which exists as a secret between you and the gem.

The downside is that if the password is lost it cannot be recovered. I set up personal and felt sure I had remembered the password. Alas. My gems disagreed and I lost the data.

I half suspect that my password was correct and it was the gems that forgot. What we gain in privacy we lose in convenience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate the comments for spam but welcome contrary viewpoints.