Monday 2 September 2019

I am tired, and it is a good feeling.

Old money is spend very carefully and invested even more so. There is no greater disgrace than to be the wastrel son or daughter who lost the family fortune.

Old Money cultivates a love of art- in part because it is often free. I have gone one better.

I have an app (go withYamo) that directs me to the lesser known galleries and pays me to view the art- in points rather than cash unfortunately, but still I am paid something.

Old money values virtue over virtue signaling. The difference is motivation. Virtue is internally driven while virtue signaling is approval seeking. Old Money frees us from the need for external validation because we can get by quite easily without it. Very often people become obsessed with approval because (with a single source of income) they would starve if their boss took a dislike to them. Virtue signaling then becomes a matter of survival rather than a neurotic need for approval.

I eat Red Tractor certified meat and drink Fairtrade tea and feel quite smug about it but this comes from my own values and research rather than the need to show off- although I have now blogged about it so maybe I can no longer say this!

Fairtrade is usually quite useless because the premium goes to pay inspectors and marketeers rather than the people we like to think we are helping. This is why it is generally favored by well meaning Guardian readers for whom motivation is more important than results. Fortunately I no longer need to worry about effectiveness when the 'ethical' premium narrows to almost nothing.

The cost of  Essentials fair trade tea bags from Waitrose are about 40% more expensive than the Morrison equivalent that are not Fairtrade. Morrison are not bad. Refreshing but with a slight bitter edge towards the end. The Waitrose equivalent smooth and rounded and probably better tea but I have come to enjoy cheap tea as I am used to it. I will probably go Morrison once they are finished.

The Red Tractor scheme appeals to the nationalist in me. It supports British farmers and humane farming. The two tend to go together as we are sentimental about animals in the UK and have higher standards than almost anyone. Free trade agreements prevent us from blocking imports from countries with lower standards and so we must make this decision on an individual level. Fortunately, the premium over mystery meat from unknown sources is usually 10% or less. The consumer may enjoy fresher meat that has been slaughtered locally and maybe get their money back via reduced spoilage.

An additional benefit is that my preferred supermarkets throw out very little food. Most goes to the homeless.


Getting some 'yee ha' in my life.

I bought some CD's from various Americans who promise to make me rich/happy/sexy/enlightened. This is a very New Money thing to do and I am not sure how much I believe them. Old Money keeps its feet on the ground and looks for proven value but I will persist and see if I notice changes in my life.

Cheap travel is possible in the UK.

This is me on a recent trip to Oxford and nothing is more Old Money than Oxford. Food, travel and accommodation cost me about £71 for four days. We must remember that these are the only real expenses needed. Once we are there, entry to most places is free.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate the comments for spam but welcome contrary viewpoints.