Friday 22 July 2016

Flaneur, the hobby that pays.


'Flaneur' means 'stroller' in French and is the literary, somewhat upper class habit of wandering around and observing the human race in its natural habitat. How does it pay? It pays because it is the cheapest hobby known to man and because of the information one picks up.

This morning I had a 'mega melt' breakfast from subway at less than half the normal price. I was able to do this because I checked my subway app for special offers before visiting. Most people do not do this. The flaneur sees more than other people because he does not busy himself with business for its own sake. I receive a free meal every ten days on average.

New restaurants are often willing to give away food when they first open. This is available to all but generally it is old money that benefits most. Old money believes in free things, and has the time to notice them. Old money generally does not rush from meeting to meeting looking only at the ground. Old money has time simply to observe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate the comments for spam but welcome contrary viewpoints.